
On a New York City Subway train, the number of interesting characters that you meet is endless. This morning, I finish reading my non-fiction book on the United States’ death penalty and my eyes stray. I am not looking for anything in particular; it’s just a morning Nonchalant Eye Scan of the People on the Train. I immediately notice the young
fratboyesque guy sporting a big backpack, khaki pants and a plaid shirt. He holds a Rosary, closes his eyes, doubles over in his chair and begins to gently rock back and forward.
I think he’s praying.
I wonder what the NYPD would say if I report him. After all, he
is carrying a large backpack and he
does appear to be praying. Does that not qualify as suspicious behavior?
“But officer …” I would plea my case as I pointed at the white American guy wearing the plaid shirt. “Isn't this exactly the sort of behavior that you’ve all asked the public to bring to your attention?”
Instead of asking me,
why the hell is that guy wearing plaid?!?!, he would probably look at me incredulously and spit back, “but he’s Catholic!!!!!”
Have Timothy McVeigh, Eric Rudolph, and others not taught us that white Americans can terrorize our country, too? And the IRA, are they not Catholic?
Don’t get me wrong, I don’t really think that the guy wearing plaid is a terrorist. I just think he's a little scared and fashion impared. But, that’s not the point. The point is that I simply believe that people should say what they mean, mean what they say and then let the chips fall as they may. Anything else, by definition, is falsehood. Be honest about your ignorance and maybe you'll learn something.
If the police really want the public to look out for Arab men on the train, I really think that they should say it. Yes, say that instead of this bullshit about looking out for men who wear cologne (seemingly to cover the scent of explosives), clench their fists (seemingly to hide the detonator), avoid eye contact (seemingly so that you wont know what they are thinking) and sweat a lot (seemingly due to nervousness about their participation in the Jihad).
… and since we’re on the subject. Give me a fucking break. Assholes.
Most men on the MTA wear too much cologne, clench their fists, avoid eye contact, and sweat a lot. The cologne is for the ladies. The clenched fists allow you to hold when the train’s operator is either drunk or thinks that he’s a Nascar driver. The lack of eye contact is because it’s New York. And, the sweat is because it’s fucking hot down there in the subways!
People piss me off.
On the ride home, I do not witness any possible terrorists -- Catholic or otherwise. I do notice a man wearing sunglasses (in the train) and performing a little ballet routine.
Demi-pointe. Now c
hangement de pieds. Arabesque is next. It was beautiful.
I’m amazed because: (a) it’s rush hour, it’s hot, and it’s crowded; (b) using only the silver support beam to balance his body, he has found a way to arrange his body into various ballet positions while limiting himself to his five feet of personal space; and (c) no one is looking at him and his behavior doesn’t phase anyone at all.
This is why I love New York. The man is clearly either a ballerina or just plain crazy. And, no one really cares which it is.
Perhaps Allah wanted me to witness this in order to remind me, again, that “
even with all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home