I Can Email @ Work!
Okay, so I'm going to break the Cardinal sin of blogging and I'm going to talk about work. Apparently many a blogger or two have lost their jobs due to blogging on company equipment, on company time and, quite stupidly, all the while publicly trashing their boss in their blog. I don't blog on company time or equipment and I'm not going to trash my boss. Believe it or not, I actually really like my boss so far. This isn't so unusual given that I generally tend to have really good working relationships with the people to whom I report. Pay me a living wage. Give me descent benefits. Place me in a professional environment. Let me do my job as I know how. And, I'm a great employee. It's that simple. So, about work ... I've been battling invisible IT-Underlords via telephone for approximately one month to get my email functioning properly. It's complicated and I honestly believe them when they tell me that their hands were tied and there was nothing that they could do to get it to work probably before now. Everytime I speak to the IT-Underlords I feel like such a dinosaur. ME: My email doesn’t work and my printer cable doesn't fit my computer. IT-Underlord: That's a parallel and your printer needs the USB. ME: Huh? IT-Underlord: You have the HP 450, right? ME: Sure, if you say so. IT-Underlord (to IT-Underling): Give her the USB cable. ME: (to IT-Underling): Why do they make all these different cables anyway? You know, you'd think that SOMEBODY would have come up with a universal cable that works for everything, yeah? IT-Underling and IT-Underlord look at each other and giggle. Someone went on to explain the history of some IT-stuff that still didn't get. My eyes must have glossed over because I noticed that they were giggling when I came to. I don't know what was so funny because I don't speak IT-eese. All that matters is that I can now (easily) send work-related emails that I need to send to do my job. For that, I am utterly grateful. To the IT-Underlord and his IT-Underling. Such small changes make huge differences.




4 Comments:
Well, at least you have the consolation of knowing that the IT-Underlord can't spell. That's parallel - not parralel.
07:50
Hey, you write well. I caught your comment on the wannabe astronaut's site and followed up. Keep it going!
Mike
http://kandmking.blogspot.com/
15:23
Hey MK,
Glad you like the blog; thanks for the compliment by the way! :)
Stolie
21:42
Do tell if you make a post about the bagel story; I've gotta hear this.
12:17
Post a Comment
<< Home