
It's hard to be single in New York City. In the past four months, I've only been on 5 dates between 2 guys. I think there are a couple, okay three, reasons why it’s so difficult. First, the urban legend holds that women outnumber men with a 3-to-1 ratio in this city. If you're a lesbian or a heterosexual man, this is great news. And, if you're a heterosexual woman, well, not so great. Paradoxically, another reason why it's difficult to date here is because there are too many people in the city. Manhattan alone is home to 1,538,952 residents as well as scores of the
bridge and tunnel crowd. The result? The Kid-in-a-Candy-Store-Factor. If someone isn't exactly what you're looking for, and no one ever is, it's easy to simply move on. Afterall, in New York, there's always something and someone bigger, better and more beautiful. Especially, more beautiful.
This brings me to #3: New Yorkers are just too damn beautiful. Oh, I know that I'm really cute and I've got the goods. But, that doesn't always cut it here. Too much competition and the Universal 1 to 10 Beauty Scale has a New York City Adjustor on it such that, if you're an 8 or 9 in any other major US city, you're only a 6 here.
It's like that Sex in the City episode. Deliciously gorgeous male models roam the streets in New York carrying out everyday tasks like grocery shopping. Really, I'm serious. One moment you're in a
bodega squeezing and sniffing grapefruits and suddenly you find yourself eye-to-eye with a real live male model.
Shit, you'll think to yourself,
I forgot that women wear makeup and strappy high heels when they go to the grocery store here. Why the hell didn't I wear my strappy high heels?!?! (Speaking of models, I went to a
Wilhelmina Models party earlier this summer where, in addition to drooling the whole night, I thought:
fuck, the bar is high
here! )
And, by the way, speaking of dating in New York ... for a bit of good news, things are going well with Fernando so far. I'm cautiously optimistic. I'll post a lot more on that later.
11 Comments:
Buenos Aires is worse than New York when it comes to the male-model factor. New York has a lot more ugly mixed into the average. That makes the pretty look even better, though.
17:57
wow...remind me never to move to NY! My self-esteem would probably be crushed as soon as the plane lands...especially since I'm a chick who NEVER wears high heels...especially not to the grocery store lol
22:23
Jim ... yeah, I've heard that BA is truly a city of Beautiful People; perhaps not coincidentally, I have two friends from there and they both are, indeed, quite beautiful.
Marie_butIdontknowyou ... That's how I felt when I was in Los Angeles ... yet another city of BPs!!! :)
Stolie
00:18
I am very, very, very glad you dropped by my blog, because it allowed me to find yours.
I'm totally hooked, stolie.
And I really want to go visit NYC now.
16:07
Jay dearest ... thanks for the comment; glad you like the blog! :)
I firmly believe that everyone should visit NYC at least once and it sounds like you will soon.
Stolie
19:54
it's kinda like that out here in southern california. but only in certain parts. i hate it. i don't want to have to get dressed just to go to the store. it's lame but i guess it's what you get for living "the life"
21:26
well seems like, it is more like a beauty contest rather than a beautiful life ;-) actually as beauty undeniably counts for men & women as well, long term relationships are not built upon it... there is more beauty to a human being rather than just the surface...
P.S: nice writing-style
22:42
Pinks ... I know. I lived in So. Cal for a minute or two and it's very similar to NYC in that way.
dr o2 ... thanks for the compliment. By the way, you make a good point about relationships ... which, of course, is the topic of my next post.
07:13
Another theory; there seem to be so many model types in NYC because there are so many people in general. Afterall, you are much more apt to notice someone attractive and disregard the average/mundane/homely. So, you notice more attractive people and don't notice the less attractive. Kind of like a machine that only notices and counts red gumballs in the gumball machine. If the gumball machine is HUGE, you'll have a much higher count of red gumballs.
15:24
Hmmm ... the Law of Large Numbers, eh? There could be something to it ...
Stolie
02:09
I know your pain regarding New York... everytime I find myself there, it's an incredibly humbling experience. Worse than that, though-- I just returned from three months in Russia, where they breed all the models. Walking down Nevsky Prospect and seeing all the seven foot blondes was... interesting, to say the least.
Also, just stumbled across your blog, and must say, it's most enjoyable.
04:32
Post a Comment
<< Home