
I'm on a business trip. A great friend, Jerome, lives in Washington, D.C. so I piggyback a visit to him onto the trip. I sleep at his house instead of some lifeless hotel. (Don't worry. He's gay. This isn't one of
those sleepovers.)
After my round of meetings, I meet up with Jerome at his place. I tell him that, in spite of what his suburbanite friends say, his apartment is great. "There's nothing to do but breed in the suburbs," I say somewhat jokingly. "Out there, it's all about the nice house, the nice car and the cool stroller for the kids. In urban areas, the whole world is outside of your door ... so, you just say 'fuck it' and you get a tiny little apartment in a neighborhood that you love."
"See," Jerome sighs, "you get it." He smiles and he seems genuinely happy. "I love Tacoma Park."
"And, I love New York," I say as I come to the realization that this is my first trip outside of the city since relocating there earlier this year. I think of my current travel itinerary: 3 great cities over the next 3 short days. I'm reminded of that scene in
Fight Club when Ed Norton's character talks about business travel and says that he remembers cities by their airport codes: "You wake up at Seatac, SFO, LAX. You wake up at O'Hare, Dallas-Fort Worth, BWI ..."
Later that night, as I lay alone on the outstretched futon with Jerome in the other room, also alone, I think to myself:
I don't want to be single forever. I don't need to be married; I'd just like a healthy, monogamous relationship with a man. And, of course, I'd like to have sex ... with another person ... on a regular basis.
Single in the city. There are clear advantages. And disadvantages.
5 Comments:
Weird. My blog entry where you left a comment? The one about the waitress? We discussed Fight Club at length: she loves the film, and it's been on my mind since I (1) just bought the DVD and (2) was thinking about the very scene you referenced during my flight into the Midwest, sitting next to some guy, talking some nonsense with him about SUV's. "Single serving friends," is the phrase that kept running through my mind.
09:56
I think you and I are both looking for the same thing... a fun relationship, not necesssarily forever, but stable, friendly, with all of the benefits... Sometimes being Single in Vancouver can be just as bad.
A friend of mine wants to try Speed DAting and I'm seriously tempted...
16:01
1. Narrator: You are by far the most interesting single-serving friend I've ever met... see I have this thing: everything on a plane is single-serving...
Tyler Durden: Oh I get it, it's very clever.
Narrator: Thank you.
Tyler Durden: How's that working out for you?
Narrator: What?
Tyler Durden: Being clever.
Yeah, I love that movie ...
2. I hope we both find it! :) I've never tried speed dating. I'm not opposed to it; I've just never tried it.
17:31
Don't worry...once you will find the right one...maybe get married...destiny! Best wishes
10:30
You never know what life will bring you. But, still ... I'm not looking for the Those Who Manage Life Chances to throw marriage at my door right now.
By the way, I checked out your blog and your homepage. It's all in German. I speak Dutch so I can understand a bit, but not all, of it ...
18:12
Post a Comment
<< Home