get down with the funky brown! funkybrownchick.blogspot.com ...

Saturday, September 10, 2005

The Bitchy Roommate

My recent homelife woes remind me that all adults should live as God intended them to -- without roommates. The only word that can accurately describe my current roommate's recent behavior is "bitchy." Bitchy as in: I can't possibly stand to live with this woman anymore. Bitchy as in: Fuck you, dear roommate. Fuck you. Hard. And, dry. With a gonorrhea-encrusted dildo. I'll spare you all of the gory details of our sordid life together. Suffice it to say that I’ve started looking for another apartment. I have had several stints living on my own. In fact, the years that I’ve lived with roommates are probably equal in number to the number of years that I’ve lived by myself. I prefer the latter. My current roommate is just one of the many wackos with whom I’ve lived thoroughout the years including: Rachel, who sang John Secada’s “I Believe in Love” every morning, off-key, either for pleasure or to torture me (I never figured out which); Tina, a woman who spent the months prior to moving in living, unbeknownst to me, under lock and key in an actual “Nut House” (I threw her out after I wake in the middle of one night to find her staring at me and pointing to her bleeding wrist -- a botched suicide attempt); Sarah, Faith, Maria, Rosarita and Conchika in Los Angeles (... this is when I became the butt of the university’s cruel joke and discovered that their idea of a “triple” was: 6 women sharing a 2-bedroom apartment, 3 occupants per room). Then there was: Sheryl, also in Los Angeles, a woman who cursed me for using her hand towels to dry water from my hands (“Did you use this again?” she asked accusingly as she eyed the hand towel with little elephants embroidered on the front. “It’s for decoration dammit!”); in England, Victoria, a lovely 50-something woman who bird watched all day and Ian, a not-as-lovely 40-something Scotsman, who fervently attempted to convert me to the Baha'i Faith; and Marijke, a chain-smoking Dutch woman who painted images of naked women on the bare walls of our Amsterdam canal house and wore the same outfit for 3 weeks at a time. Of course, some roommates were better than others. Some were worse. But, by far, the absolutely worst situations of all have been the instances when I’ve lived with more than one woman at a time. Awful. I’ve never seen Hell, but I’m convinced that it’s a place filled with several women that live together under the one roof. Share your roommate horror stories if you wish …

8 Comments:

Blogger onus1234 said...

No horror stories to share :( but I've definitely heard some interesting ones..one of my friends used to live with this girl that would walk around BUTT NAKED all the time. Let's just say, she rarely stayed in her room that summer.....

22:29

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoa ... good luck with the room-mate situation - you've put a pox on her soul, i see.

(eeeewwwwwww.)


living alone is the best, i must admit. unless you're living with a man you always want in your space. ;)

_

16:51

 
Blogger Mint Chutney said...

Have been lucky enough to only have had one roommate and she only lived there part-time.

Good luck Stolie!

21:02

 
Blogger kristen said...

had one guy/one girl in college, it worked out except the guy didn't believe in the smells of cooking and accused the other two of us of "stinking up the house" because we cooked. ??

had one guy/2 girls/1 cat/1 puppy after college and surprisingly it worked out, even with just ONE bathroom!

had one girl for a summer, she was from ukraine...strange girl. didn't want me to turn on the light when i came home at night (after 10pm).

had two guys living in a house, and they were the lightest sleepers i ever met, and again if i came home late i had to be SILENT, otherwise i was breaching the "peace and quiet" clause in the lease. trust me i'm not a loud person, it was definitely the OLD CREAKY house we lived in!

since then i've been a live alone gal! i work with all women. that's enough for me. good luck yo.

00:30

 
Blogger Be said...

Oh my heavens! I've lived with women but rarely. Really can't stand a lot of them. That said, the best living situation I ever had (and spoiled me for the whole roommate experience) was with two women and one part time guy. It was a very, very small place and everyone had their issues, but it worked out pretty well. But you weren't asking about good experiences, you wanted the bad and the ugly. Okay. Bad: The last roommate in my current situation, who made me decide that it was time to live alone again. Just a damn passive aggressive "Lincoln boy" (up here in Boston, that means child of college professors/rich people in the Clueless White Suburbs). He'd never lived anywhere but with his parents or in a dorm before. There was this awful pattern of his doing something really stupid, like not feed my cats for three days after promising to do so (sorry, forgot. I was busy), leaving all the windows open in the house save for his (thus ruining furniture / electrical equipment) during a northeaster - "Oh...I didn't have time to close your window." Or loan / give away my stuff to other people. He once gave some crazy-assed girlfriend of his some relatively rare sheet music of mine. After I told him to get it back, I remember him telling me that his girlfriend hated me and wanted me to move out. Anyway - I'd call him on stuff, and he'd suddenly take ill with migraines, claiming that I caused them because he hated confrontation because his mother and father fought a lot when he was a kid.

The Ugly? The unemployed guy who lived in the basement of an apartment I sublet from someone and tried to make a profit on all the rest of us by overcharging rent/utilities. He'd also eat all our food. We used to call his room the "lair of the white worm." Creepy.

If you can manage it, live alone! I'm barely scraping by, but am feeling SO MUCH BETTER.

18:22

 
Blogger zoe p. said...

Good luck with your situation. Living alone is lovely . . . so is eating in bars alone, if you're brave enough and find the right bar.

As for bad roomates, I once lived with a guy who was so paranoid about his private property he bolted his stereo to the heaviest furniture in the house. He also routinely left egg in the sink drain and didn't clean up after himself. This doesn't sound that bad, except he was a militant Marxist. Watching any TV with him in the room was a bit difficult, as it was only in cynical television commentary that his Marxism was, it seemed, made manifest.

10:34

 
Blogger K-Mac said...

I just got out of a two-year roomie situation. It was good, but a bit straining at times.

I'm glad I'm out and will never do it again. So yes, I can relate to your ordeal.

10:41

 
Blogger Sid said...

So. Nightmare roommates.

There was the one who was my friend who I decided to move in with. And it ruined our friendship. Among other things, she would borrow my bras when she ran out of clean ones. My $40 bras. I was a 40D. SHe was, like, a 46B. You do the math...and imagine what they looked like when she was done. Oh, and she never washed them, either. I'd have to go looking in her pile of dirty shit to find my own damned bras. Arg.

Or the lady who was my mom's college friend who needed a roommate. We though it would be safe. I mean, she was my mom's friend! How about this: She collected trash in fruit juice jugs left on the side of the sink, would leave her dirty clothes and some quarters in the kitchen with a note asking me to take care of them when I got some free time (despite the fact that I worked full time and she took AT LEAST one mental health day EVERY WEEK), once called me AT WORK, during a snowstorm (this was in Boston) to say she wasn't feeling well, was taking the day off, and wanted me to come home after work, get her atm card, go get some cash for her, and then take said cash to a drug store to buy her some medicine and groceries, broke the locks to the front and back doors of the house (I don't know how) and attempted to fix them WITH BUBBLE GUM, broke the bathroom mirror and left the glass all over the floor, tried to flush a handtowel, clogged the toilet, and flooded her scat all over the floor...that was when I moved out.

I call this the "my crazy motherf*ckin roommate" story, copyright me, forever, lol. It's pretty sad, she was cleary actually mentally ill, but her family lived around the corner and did nothing to help her. There's more, but I don't think you've got the room or time. I figure I deserve some good roommate karma at this point, lol.

11:24

 

Post a Comment

<< Home