
Every time I fly, there is always some sort of drama. As a result, I’ve developed a pretty unorthodox attitude about airports and flight schedules. I book my flight in advance. When the departure date arrives, I go to the airport whenever I feel like it and fly standby on whatever plane they’ll let me on. I figure, I’ll get there when I get there. Why rush into the pit of insanity?
Yesterday. I arrive at the airport at 11:45AM. I’m too late for the 12:00PM flight, but I know that I can definitely make the next flight. I don’t. It’s full. So is the next one. (Shit, I forgot that it's technically a
holiday.) During my extended stay at JFK, I call Bro twice, eat lunch, drink one glass of red wine, and read 176 pages of my copy of Aron Ralston’s
Between a Rock and a Hard Place. I finally get on a plane at 5:00PM. The flight from JFK to LAX is 5 hours and 55 minutes. And, they don’t even feed us. I try not to focus on the fact that I’ve just been given six tortilla chips to satiate my appetite for the next 5 hours and 55 minutes. They're serving the people in first class freshly tossed salad and Chardonnay while I'm knawing on this fucking torilla chip and sipping luke warm water.
Focus on the movie, Stolie. Focus on the movie. You like movies. See, it's starting ...
"Nuh-hunh!" I say aloud as they announce the movie.
Young Frankenstein?!?! That movie came out in 1974!!! The passenger in seat 17A is disgruntled. Very disgruntled. I finally arrive in LA and I head to the rental car agency to pick up my car and I then head to the hotel. As I lay my head on my pillow, I smile and think ...
Ahhhh, Los Angeles!
I still have a handful of friends that live in the city and we've already made plans to hang out when I'm not working. This should be fun ...
7 Comments:
But Young Frankenstein is a classic! Ha! It's better than the stuff I've been watching on my ORD <-> SEA flights. OK, Kicking and Screaming and Fantastic Four were OK. I'm glad I never spent money on either.
10:38
entirley off-topic, i know ... but whatever happened with the irish boy? did you two ever get in touch, or did you just give up on it?
_
10:45
Interesting. I've never deliberately tried that.
12:09
I fly from Chicago to Orange County about once a month. If I combined all the bags of tortilla chips American Airlines gave me since January I still wouldn't have enough to count as any sort of snack.
Talk about torture...they showed Herbie's Big Adventure with Lindsey Lohan on my flight a few weeks ago. Where's Amnesty International when you need them??
23:34
carlos: It's not only a "classic" it's "cheap." They are cutting corners like crazy; instead of paying "new release" prices to the distributers, they just pop in a movie from yesteryear. I've seen neither of the movies that you mention, but I can't stand that guy Will Ferrell so I don't think I'd like Kicking and Screaming.
miss anon: No worries. Nothing here is ever "off topic" because my blog is never really "on topic." I never tried to call the Irish boy again and he never called me. I guess that's the end of it ...
raymond: Try it. It's liberating.
mint chutney: You are FUNNY!!!! :) (I think I would consider 2 hours of Lin-Lo torture as well.)
09:49
has anyone got any vodka?
10:30
stolichnaya
02:23
Post a Comment
<< Home