get down with the funky brown! funkybrownchick.blogspot.com ...

Monday, October 31, 2005

Hookah Halloween

I can’t believe it is already Monday. It’s finally Halloween! Have you started celebrating? Oddly enough most of my celebrations and weekend activities haven’t followed a Halloween theme at all. I haven't even picked up a costume yet. (I'm saving myself for the parade.) So far, the highlight of the extended weekend is Saturday night. (Although I return home very early Sunday morning, I don’t drink nearly as much as I did last time that I stayed out that late.) The evening arrives and my friend Nekhbet invites me and others to a private party at an Egyptian club. She knows the guy who’s hosting it so we’re on the list. (This is great because it means that our group of 8 doesn’t have to pay the $20/each cover.) We arrive. It's dark inside, but I can see that the 2-story venue is decorated beautifully with dark red tapestries on the walls. The DJ plays a mix of Arabic music, reggaeton, and dance music. Hookah pipes are present on nearly every table. Fairly authentic, everyone at the party--including the live belly dancer--appears to hail from a short list of 23 countries. The only exceptions are Kelly, me, two Irish-American guys and a small group of early 20-something girls dry humping each other on the dance floor. One of the Irish-American guys ( … I know he’s Irish-American because he tells me so) is extremely attractive and he hits on me the whole night. He appears to be a few years younger than I am, but that’s fine. (I like younger men. They’re so … spry.) I have on heels and we’re almost the same height, eye-to-eye. He has short dark hair and blue eyes that literally twinkle when he smiles. The flirtfest continues and, at the night’s end, he walks me outside of the party to say a proper goodbye. “See you next time,” I tell him and cup the side of his face in my hand. Then, I hold my arm out to hail a cab. “That’s all?” he asks softly. I take his hand in mine and squeeze it gently. “Sweetie, that’s all.” No one-night stand. No numbers exchanged. No expectations. I’m not ready to put myself “out there” in the dating world just yet.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not even one of your patented "Boy Snacks?"

06:23

 
Blogger MamaChristy said...

I don't know. An Egyptian dance club seems like a total Halloween adventure if it isn't the kind of place you normally haunt. Sounds just lovely.

You seem to have a penchant for Irish boys. Well, if it is meant to be with this young man, you will meet again...

06:29

 
Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com said...

raymond: I know, crazy huh? I didn't even get a little Boy Snack. I think I'm starting to get a little jaded ...

mamachristy: Yeah, this was my first time visiting an Egyptian dance club. I had a blast!

And, I never thought about it before, but the Irish Boy factor in my Dating World does seem to be a little high.

07:29

 
Blogger missbhavens said...

make sure you get a spot for the parade really, really, REALLY early. Early like 5pm. Bring a thermos full of coffee with kahlua and you'll be fine!

08:43

 
Blogger Mean Red said...

Well when you're in London next year you'll find lots of Irish boys. Or you could take a little weekend trip to Dublin...heavenly accents! I'm in the north of Ireland in Belfast, our accents are ok but not as nice as the oirish oirish ones...mmmmmm. As for last minute costume, what about punk? back comb your hair, wear ripped old clothes and tights and lots of make up and adorn yourself with safety pins a la original seventies punk. Have fun though!

09:38

 
Blogger Mitch said...

Sounds like you had a good night (somewhat jealous on the West Coast). An Egyptian Club - that sounds kind of fun...

As for the 'Irish boy', sometimes flirting can be a complete snack in an of itself, even if you don't need anything more.

Just don't let opportunity pass you by while you're on the 'diet'. I've been told that things happen when you are least expecting it...

16:24

 
Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com said...

missbhavens: I read your post earlier in the evening. I soooo should have heeded your advice. I got tied up and I didn't arrive at the parade until just before 7:00pm and I swear I almost got trampled!!

nics: Irish lads. Yummy! :) And, I'll post about my final Halloween Costume selection soon ...

mitch: Yeah, it was a great night!

00:36

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what if he had leaned forward and tried to give you the snack anyway? Would you have 1) kissed him back? or 2) done one of those head turns making him brush his lips incompetently by your cheek followed by the awkward silence?

01:06

 

Post a Comment

<< Home