get down with the funky brown! funkybrownchick.blogspot.com ...

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Stolie and the Capone

Last night at the hotel, I'm delighted that Sex in the City is on TBS. Believe it or not, it's the episode where Samantha, Carrie and Miranda go to Los Angeles. I've seen the episode before, but I watch it again because it's so apropos. I can't really wax about the differences between New York and LA just yet. I haven't been in LA more than 48 hours and I've been working a lot. (I lived here before, but that was 10 years ago ... back when OJ was on trial.) For now, I’ll say that the two differences that I noticed almost immediately are (1) the noise level and (2) the orderly fashion of driving. First, the noise. In New York, I'm constantly surrounded by it: subway brakes screeching, people yelling in the streets, teenagers talking, yellow taxis blaring their horns, garbage trucks picking up trash, cars whizzing by me, babies crying, etc. etc. Here, it's so quiet. It's almost kind of eerie. Now, the drivers. They’re pretty laid back. Yesterday morning, I’m slowing the rental car to a stop at a red light when this woman cuts in front of me and almost nips the front bumper. Instinctively, I slam on the brakes, lay on my horn, stick my head and arm out the window and yell, "what are the fuck are you doing, huh?!" Note: this is completely normal behavior in New York. And, in Chicago. But, apparently, Los Angeles is less gangster because I swear every individual in every car within a 1-mile radius looks at me as if I am absolutely crazy. (The car to my left even rolls up their windows and locks the doors.) I give a little laugh. To smooth the everyone’s ruffled feathers, I consider adding, “sorry … sorry everybody … sorry for the Capone. I can't help it. I'm from Chicago and I just flew in from New York. I didn’t know any better.”

5 Comments:

Blogger Mitch said...

If you thought LA was quiet, you should come to Vancouver... you'll be deaf with how quiet this city is - and though we complain about the driving, its nothing compared to even LA, where they are all nuts.

11:44

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

stolie, you're off your nut. i could tell immediately from the dangly earrings and the sparkly blue dress. dead giveaways.

toronto's traffic is *terrible* and getting worse ... we need more highways but that doesn't really seem to be happening. not in a timely fashion, anyway. i find myself cussing a lot under my breath, as i'm trying to remain a polite canadian beneath it all. and i fear that once i start with the verbal hooliganism, it won't be much longer before i'm launching my car into on-coming traffic, trying to prove my point.

yes, it's best for everyone that i just sing to myself in the car.

PS - question below in methadone post.

_

15:45

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nah you're being to hard on yourself. I lived in that town for two years. They are some really uptight inconsiderate drivers who can be assholes in their own right. Once, in the Glendale Galleria I rounded a corner to come upon a couple who were trying to park and a sniveling little scrawny putz who was wedging into the space and squawking about having the right of way. I wanted to become this giant hand and reach across into his MG Midget and yank him out of it by the neck.

20:14

 
Blogger MamaChristy said...

Ok, California driver's frighten me and have told my husband that when we one day vacation in NYC, there will not be a rental car involved. We have traffic here in Texas, but nothing compared to NY or LA.

22:45

 
Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com said...

mitch: I've never been to Vancouver, but it's definitely on my list of places to see within the coming year or so. Everyone raves about how beautiful it is.

miss anon: Shoot! The dangly earrings. They give me away every time!!!!!! :) BTW, I *love* Toronto ... And, PS ... answer below in methadone post. ;)

raymond: Okay, so maybe the "kind and giving and peaceful" California driver thing is just an act? Because, I swear they all looked at my like I was completely crazy.

mamachristy: Yeah, don't ever rent a car in New York. You can walk, subway, or cab it wherever you need to go. And, of course, when you come to the City, email me and we'll grab coffee.

08:36

 

Post a Comment

<< Home