
Ahhhhhh ….
Thanksgiving. To my American and, belatedly, to my Canadian readers: Happy Thanksgiving everybody!!! I am going to take a little blogging break while I celebrate, but, I’ll be back on
Saturday. I don’t know yet. In any case, before I leave you, I want to share a bit of Thanksgiving-style, American, oddball cultural knowledge with my non-American readers. Strangely enough, it seems that the BBC didn’t cover this story, but it’s important and I want to be sure that you all know about it ...
The presidential
turkey pardon. What is it? Well, I’m glad that you asked. As you may know, tomorrow, Americans celebrate Thanksgiving. During the holiday, we eat turkey. Lots of turkeys. But, each year, the life of one turkey is saved. The National Turkey Federation presents the President of the United States of America with a live turkey and the President officially spares the turkey’s life during a quirky, televised ceremony — the turkey pardon. This isn’t a joke.
President Bush did it yesterday and, when they were presidents,
Clinton,
Bush Sr.,
Reagan, Nixon and others all did it as well. Anyway, after the pardon, the spared turkey typically leaves the White House and goes on to live a long and prosperous life at
Frying Pan Park in Fairfax County, Virginia. (In a break from tradition, this year, President Bush banished the turkey to Disneyland.)
No one quite knows when the turkey pardon tradition began, but it’s commonly believed that either: (a) Harry Truman started it in 1947 or (b) Abraham Lincoln started it when he pardoned his family’s pet turkey. In either case, the Presidential Turkey Pardon is a long-standing tradition that is ingrained into the very fabric of the United States. And, in case you don’t know the history of the Thanksgiving, in general ... The folklore of the holiday supposedly involves a boatload of white people that were extremely thankful for the Native Americans that helped them live through the cold winter and harvest unfamiliar autumn crops. But, for the past forty years, a gathering of Native Americans and others have assembled at Plymouth Rock for a National Day of Mourning to protest
Thanksgiving (i.e.
“... um … you thanked us by killing us”) ... Interestingly, in SoHo, I once saw a t-shirt that read —
Native Americans: Fighting Terrorism Against the Tribal Homeland Since 1492. Clever. Very clever.
Anyway ... Happy Thanksgiving (or National Day of Mourning) everybody! If you need a Funky Brown Chick Fix while I’m gone, feel free to peruse my blog’s archives for your reading pleasure. ;-) See you when I return.
10 Comments:
NPR told me that the turkeys are going to L.A. first, which struck me as very odd. What are the turkeys going to do in L.A.? Hunt down Lindsay Lohan? Go to Hollywood? Pick up a hooker?
NPR also stated that the reason that Bush sent the turkeys somewhere other than Frying Pan Park is due to pressure from PETA. It seems that PETA claims that a turkeys natural life-span at Frying Pan Park is a lot shorter than it should be.
So a turkey lives longer in L.A. than a turkey reserve in Virginia? Oh logic.
Happy thanksgiving.
10:38
That's quite nice although I'm sure there are those who disagree with the whole thing. Have a nice Thanksgiving Stolie!!
(eivdd: evil dead?)
11:11
Hey happy thanksgiving Stolie and enjoy the turk :D
12:57
I thought I heard the turkey was going to Disneyland.
20:20
This reminds me of the Thanksgiving I spent in Canada, eh? I was feeling homesick for American Thanksgiving that November, and it didn't help that Canadian Thanksgiving was a month earlier in October. I was watching The West Wing, and it was the T'giving special where there was some kind of zany mix-up and Bartlett had to choose between two turkeys to pardon. In the end, in a gesture of magnanimity, he pardoned both. I burst into tears. (I kid you not.)
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
20:28
I thought the Presidential Turkey Pardon had to do with the string of Executive Orders of Clemency issued right before a sitting president leaves office.
21:02
Leave it to Bush to screw up even the location that the spared foul was supposed to go to. How typical. LOL
00:17
Happy 'American' thanksgiving. You crazy people south of border always seem to celebrate a month late. I just can't understand why?
Have a great long weekend.
14:12
Happy Thanksgiving Stolie. That is one holiday I wish we had. I don't particularly care for turkey but the other stuff around it seems to be pretty nice. Now only Christmas to look forward to.
Gong Xi Fa Chai.
22:37
Elenor: Very funny!! I, too, wonder what exactly the turkeys will do in LA ...
Nics: Thanks for the Thanksgiving wishes.
PapiG: Oh, trust me ... I *enjoyed* the turkey. :) Thanks.
JohnJEnright: It's true. They are supposedly spending the rest of their days at Disneyland. Uh, huh?
Andy: Those crazy Canadians!! ;-)
Raymond: "I thought the Presidential Turkey Pardon had to do with the string of Executive Orders of Clemency issued right before a sitting president leaves office." Oh my. Too funny.
Tonito Bandito: Believe it or not, I didn't vote for Bush. Shocker, huh?
Mitch: Oh you Canadians ... You tried to beat us to the punch by scheduling your Thanksgiving *one month* earlier than ours, huh? "Oh looky, the Canadians are more thankful than the Americans. They already did their Thanksgiving." :)
Jenn: Thanksgiving is a good holiday, indeed! I'm looking forward to Christmas. I just wish that it didn't get so cold during that holiday. :(
05:32
Post a Comment
<< Home