
I’m a big believer in physical (and emotional) health. Call me a masochist if you wish, but I honestly love going to the gym. When I keep a good schedule, I go 3-4 times a week and I try to avoid leaving the gym before putting in at least a solid hour and a half of good work. In the beginning, I huff and puff as I run on the treadmill for a total-body workout. Then, I lift weights to achieve a firmer, more toned body. Next, in my classes with instructors, during the warm up, I push myself hard enough to break a sweat before the “real” workout begins.
I’ve been slacking off lately and I haven’t gone as regularly as I usually do. Until yesterday, it had been weeks, perhaps even a month, since I last smelled that familiar scent of a room full of other people’s sweat. When I arrive at the gym yesterday, I show my ID, buy a water, and change into my clothes. I lock up my belongings and grab my towel before heading out to the floor. I’m there for at least 45 minutes before I notice her. (Don’t worry, it’s no one famous.) It’s a tall woman and she’s one of
them.
They are the only things that I don’t like about the gym. They are the women and men who haven’t been informed that “gym” does not equal “nightclub.”
This woman. She’s really decked out and she’s sporting a black spandex halter top with a plunging neckline and matching black pants. Her shoes look as if they haven’t even logged a mile quite yet. Her hair is perfectly coiffed and she’s wearing tons of makeup. She’s here to
pick up, not
work out. And, you know what? That’s fine. Do your thing girl.
But, please. And, I mean
plllleeeaasse remember that there are people who actually to go the gym to work out. So when you sit on the ab machine playing with your boobies, those people, us, we get kind of pissed off because it means that we can’t use the machine. Or, when you stand in the
front row of an aerobics class, the gym-equivalent of prime real estate, it annoys us. Because, we want to stand there to get a better view of the instructor’s moves and check our form, but you hog up the space for the sole purpose of checking yourself out in the mirror.
Who knows, maybe
I’m the one who didn’t get the memo because the more that I look around the gym these days, it’s really starting to look more and more like a club. The day they install a disco ball, I’m leaving.
9 Comments:
But Stolie, every queen knows that disco dancing is the BEST cardio ever!
10:29
There's a few gyms like that in every city. Here its the "Kits Workout" - aka, home of the toned, tanned, and caffiene addicted fools who walk around in Lululemon yoga gear despite not taking yoga etc. Highly amusing...
I tend to go to the Community Centre Gyms here in VanCity - much less pretentious, more focused on working out, and ironically, they are better places to meet (real) people as opposed to the fake and bake crowd.
as per my last comment - I don't want to count my 'chicks' until they hatch - pun intended... don't worry, more later...
12:43
oooh! mitch is seeing someone! why am i so excited?! :)
_
15:44
Oh, those girls make me nuts, too. The only thing worse than girls who confuse "nightclub" with "gym" are the ones who confuse "nightclub" with "yoga class". Talk about innapropriate...
19:15
rcknrobin: Oooh, I have bad memories about university gyms. When I was in grad school, I used to go to the gym on campus and it sucked. Little ones from a class that I TA'ed would come up to me to ask questions about class!! I hated it. What am I doing? I'm sweating. Where are we? We're in a gym. WHAT about this situation made you think that (1) I was actually working and (2) the whole teacher-student thing is appropriate now?!?!" :)
Tonito Bandito: And, I've been know to party with the best of 'em. But, when it comes to working out, I say leave the balls (no pun intended) at the club.
Mitch: That's disturbing. And, I'll consider the community / local gym when my contract runs out.
miss anon: I know. I felt a little cheated. Sounds like he's got a little action going on, but he's totally keeping it on the down low.
missbhavens: I know, aren't they horrible?
20:03
Fortunately, my gym isn't much of a pickup spot, either. As you so aptly put it, I go there to work out, not meet people. Oh, and by the way, any blog entry headed by a photo of Mr. T is A-okay by me! I pity the fool who don't respect T.!
21:44
Mr. T rocks.
00:15
A gym...what's that?? jk..I do believe I'd be annoyed too. ;)
08:07
Yeah, it's annoying. I'm roped into this never-ending contract. Soon as it ends, I'll explore other options.
18:03
Post a Comment
<< Home