get down with the funky brown! funkybrownchick.blogspot.com ...

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

RANDOM RAVE: Quakers

In life, there are two things that make smoke erupt from my ears and blood boil in my veins: (1) people who treat others poorly or unfairly and (2) people who don’t say what they mean, mean what they say, and/or do what they say they’re going to do. Number one is self-explanatory. Number two is a bit tricky because it touches on a bunch of stuff like trustworthiness, honesty, and integrity. For now, let’s focus on integrity. It seems that people generally use the word integrity in reference to some sort of strict adherence to an ethical (read: self-righteous, right wing and conservatively Christian) moral code. In my mind, that’s a complete perversion of the word’s true meaning. Perhaps the rampant misuse is deliberate. Or, perhaps, the word is just so oft-repeated that people don’t even know what it means anymore. But, you know who really gets it (in more ways than one)? The Quakers. Integrity’s root, integer, comes from the Latin adjective meaning complete or whole. It’s my understanding that Quakers define integrity as “being true to a higher power, to yourself and to others around you.” It’s that earthy-crunchy wholeness and peace of mind that springs from living life with your complete, physical, emotional, mental, and social being in line. And, it’s the joy of following “your path” in life; whatever you believe that “path” to be. Needless to say, I (like everyone else who is human) fail miserably at the whole integrity thing from time to time. But, you know what? I try. And, I’m big enough to make attempts to correct my actions, admit my faults and, where appropriate, say “I’m sorry.”

8 Comments:

Blogger Mint Chutney said...

I've always been interested about how no-muss-no-fuss Quakerism seems to be.

The last season of Six Feet Under dealt a lot with Quakers including the Meetings. I was fascinated by a song played in one of the last episodes called We Are a Gentle Angry People Singing for Our Lives. I'm not sure if the song was directly related to Quakerism but it was fascinating nonetheless.

10:12

 
Blogger Anhoni Patel said...

Um. I'm confused. So do you hate the Quakers. Or like them?

11:34

 
Blogger Sid said...

you know, what's funny is that finding a church was on my agenda for today, and i was totally lost. I couldn't remember a single church in which i'd felt comfortable.

But now that you mention it, the members i've felt most comfortable with were quakers.

thanks.

11:46

 
Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com said...

Mint Chutney: A song called We Are a Gentle Angry People Singing for Our Lives? I simply MUST hear this one!!

Hanuman: I, too, am fascinated by the Quaker faith.

Anhoni Patel: I love the Quakers!!

Sid: You'll have to blog about your experiences if you link up with the Quakers. I'm really interested in learning more.

12:07

 
Blogger Andrew said...

You know, if I had to do it all over again, I'd want to start out as a Jew. No, I'm serious.

13:26

 
Blogger Nessa said...

I admire the tenents of the Quaker religion, but most religions, if they were followed the way their dogma is actually laid out, are ok.

I worked at a Quaker summer camp as a counselor when I was 16. Quakers are just like everyone else. There are some to be admired, others that are just trying to live their lives as best they can and still others who cover their evil little hearts in a cloak of religiosity.

14:25

 
Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com said...

Andy: Really? That's interesting.

goldennib: "Most religions, if they were followed the way their dogma is actually laid out, are ok." Very good point.

03:44

 
Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com said...

:)

15:12

 

Post a Comment

<< Home