get down with the funky brown! funkybrownchick.blogspot.com ...

Friday, November 18, 2005

Sexy for Your Ears

Have you met Ira? If not, please allow me to introduce you. Ira Glass is the host of This American Life. What is that? Well, I’m glad that you asked. According to their site, This American Life is: a weekly radio show on topics that aren't really news, but topics that relate to everyone's life in some way. Huh??? Let's see if I can give this a shot. Work with me for a second, people. Okay? Close your eyes (theoretically speaking, of course, because you have to keep reading) ... Imagine a random, funny topic from everyday life. Pick a topic. Any topic. Mean children. Elderly sado-masochists. You name it. Now, imagine that 4 or 5 really funny bloggers tell you (instead of write) about hilarious stories on that topic. Each story is completely different from the other; however, again, the thread that weaves the stories together is that they are all on the same topic. Some of the stories are true. Some are not true. Some are somewhere in between. And, you don’t know which is which. But, wait. There’s more. As a special bonus, you hear soundbites from 2 or 3 of your favorite songs as background music. That’s This American Life. Shown on over 500 National Public Radio stations nation-wide, TAL is on a wonderful mission to make Public Radio one of the sexiest things alive. And, they are succeeding. Try it. You’ll like it. Simply put: if you read blogs, you’ll probably LOVE This American Life. Check it out. (The New York Times even did a piece on the show a while back.) All of their current and past radio shows are online so listen, podcast, or purchase to your heart’s content. (Support public radio!!) I recommend Sissies, Americans in Paris, Who’s Canadian, Office Politics and other stories. But, I’m sure you’ll come to discover your own favorites in time ...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I adore TAL... when I was living with my now-ex I would get in my car and drive around aimlessly for hours so that I could listen to it... now I can just turn on my radio at home.

09:05

 
Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com said...

elenor & Hanuman: isn't it great??? I first discovered the show a few years back and I've been hooked ever since. I listened to public radio much more when I still had my car. I don't listen to it as much as I used to now that I take the subway, or my own two feet, everywhere that I go.

00:38

 
Blogger missbhavens said...

Oh, it's my very, very favorite. My friend and I have an ongoing argument about which of us has a bigger crush on Ira. He's my dream nebbish. I've been known to stand in grocery stores with my cart doing nothing while I finished listening to the rest of the broadcast. Some are also available on iTunes in the podcast section, but I haven yet to locate a recording of my very fave episode, "Fiascos". I've never laughed so hard at a radio in my life. The squirrel story will make you pee. In a good way. They usually rebroadcast it during pledge drives, ebcause people love it so much. Keep your ears peeled.

13:23

 
Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com said...

I haven't heard that one, but I'll definitely keep my ears peeled!! :)

18:03

 

Post a Comment

<< Home