get down with the funky brown! funkybrownchick.blogspot.com ...

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Sugar Daddies & Other "Get Rich Quick"

Recently, I’ve tried to think of the wackiest ways in which I could earn, say, $14,000 in a very short amount of time. Get Rich Quick. Here are a few ideas that have topped the list: 1. Move to England. The pound is sooo much stronger than the US dollar (soon to be called the American Peso). Even if I were to pay the same amount, say £500 instead of $500, my debt would decrease at a much faster rate. At present, $14,000 = approx . £8,000. Hmmm ... England. I could learn to eat Marmite. Really, I could. 2. Wage-Slave Myself into Oblivion. A second job? I could teach university courses as an adjunct. I have a Master’s degree. Therefore, a university would hire me to teach and they’d pay a fraction of the salary someone with a PhD would get. The upshot? Extra $$$ for bills. The downside? I’d commit suicide because I’d be miserable. I’ve done it before (teaching, not suicide). Even when you do it part-time, it’s a full-time job. I simply cannot work a 20-hour work day. 3. Find a Sugar Daddy. Following up with Jay’s comment yesterday, I have two friends that had and/or have honest-to-God Sugar Daddies: Anna-Scarlet and Bruce. Anna-Scarlet dates much older men and I admire her honesty about it. They pay. She plays. Bruce once served as a beck-and-call boy to a gentleman who took very good care of him financially. Anna-Scarlet and Bruce warn, “Nothing comes for free; you have to pay it back tenfold one way or another.” That’s not a price that I am willing to pay. 4. Whore My Blog Out. Okay, if not me, maybe my blog? Some blogs/websites make money. Dooce and SaveKaryn are examples that immediately come to mind. The decision to go commercial is a very personal one. I’ve decided not to add ads to this site because: (1) blogging and “meeting” bloggers is a Zen-like therapy for me, not a financial endeavor and (2) well, honestly, my blog isn’t famous enough to actually generate any cash. ;-) In the end, I’ve decided that the best option will be, as I’ve said before, the slow and painful process: 5-Year Financial Plan for getting out of credit card debt. I appreciate the book recommendations, shared debt stories and suggestions that a few of you have given. Now, for fun—whether or not you are and/or have been in credit card debt—what are your goofy, wacky, funny or creative Get Rich Quick schemes?

15 Comments:

Blogger Mike King said...

Hey Stolie, I've finally added a link to your blog on my site. I hope you do the same, 'cause my NY friends would like to see some equivocality, if I may be so f'ing bold to make up a word; but I will talk to you soon. Mike

01:00

 
Blogger Tonito Bandito said...

I too would love to find a "sugar" daddy or to become a blog whore. Wait, I am failing at that too. We are together in spirit! Mwah!

01:11

 
Blogger Mike King said...

By the way, I do not have any get rich schemes to pawn off on you. I do think, though, you have a talent for writing, which is getting better as we speak. That is not a get rich deal, of course. My advice? Forget the get rich thing, and figure out what will make you happy. I know it sounds insipid, but it's true. mk

01:22

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could combine two of your ideas and sell advertising space on your body. How about promising advertisers to wear skimpy half-shirts and putting their logo on your belly?

09:18

 
Blogger AWE said...

Do not do the 2 job thing unless you have to. I have tried it for the past 4 years around Christmas, it just wears you out and makes you a Scrooge. I actually took the weekend off before Christmas this year and I said that I would never do this to myself again. But guess what, when I get off today at 5pm, I am going to work at another job. I am a glutton.

10:17

 
Blogger MamaChristy said...

We'll still read if you whore out your blog! I'm sure that we could find ways to make your blog popular enough to make some cash. Hey, I understand if you want it as therapy of sorts, though.

I keep thinking that one of these days I'm gonna write a really great book - about what I don't know - and have my cake and eat it, too. Lots of money and time with my boy and J. Of couse, to get the thing written I probably have to sacrifice time with them now (or sleep) and I just can't bring myself to do that.

10:33

 
Blogger Sid said...

hmmmmm. uh, megamillions. work an 18 hour shift on new year's, thus earning yourself crazy doubletime holiday pay! Or, hey, maybe you can make a fortune with clever designs on that tee shirts through that cafepress site! Okay, sorry, I got nothin'.

12:50

 
Blogger Jay said...

I think the day you start depending on a blog for money will be the day it stops being 'fun' and starts being 'work'.

Idea No. 1 is actually fairly feasible. I know a Canadian bloke who's just gone back to Canada, having saved up enough to open a cafe with his business partner by working in various jobs here in London.

If it's an option that's open to you, you should seriously consider it. If you're good at saving money (instead of blowing it on Paul Smith and Alexander McQueen) then earning pounds can be pretty rewarding.

And Marmite grows on you. It does. It's jellied eels that will always be fucking gross.

16:55

 
Blogger Andrew said...

Yeah, I know how it feels. There's no worse sleep than the sleep you don't get because you're staring at the ceiling at night, wondering how you're going to get out of debt. It's shitty, pardon my French. (And, yes, the working-in-England has occurred to me, too. Seriously.)

18:16

 
Blogger Mean Red said...

Well if you can't face the thought of lecturing, what about tutoring? One on one? eBay? Or, now don't knock this one, those chatline numbers? You could do one of the S&M ones, specialising in spanking?

19:48

 
Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com said...

Mike King: Thanks for the link and the words o' wisdom.

Tonito Bandito: You said - "We are together in spirit! There's no place else I'd rather be. *mwah* right back at ya! ;)

Pegs: I could combine all four by moving to England to teach and by selling advertising space in my classroom by day before returning home to my sugar daddy at night. :)

AWE: Yeah, I considered it, but I really don't think that I have it in me to: commute to a first job, work a full day, commute to a second job, word a full day again, and then commute back home ...

MamaChristy: Awww ... Thanks for the support!! By the way, if you write a book, let me know!!! :)

Sid: Oh, I simply can't give up my New Year's Eve!! :) I think this one is going to be a good one ... And, I have to check CafePress out sometime.

Jay: Yeah, I wasn't joking about the England bit. I lived there once before and I loved it. London is great! ... And, what's this about jellied eels?!?!?! I'll try anything once, but something tells me that's not something I'd ever try a second time. :)

Andy: Yeah, debt really really really sucks. I'll race you to see who moves to England first. On your mark ... Get set ...

Nics: Ahhh, tutoring. I hadn't thought of that one. That's a good idea. As is eBay. And. I'm totally not shitting you when I say: if I knew how to get linked up with a spanking chatline thing I would do it in a heartbeat!!! How much fun would that be?!?! And, I'd sooo blog about it and tell you guys how it all works. That could actually be pretty fun!! You're brilliant. I’m going to ask around to see if anyone knows how to get linked up with it all.

22:16

 
Blogger Jenn said...

All the financial planners I ever interviewed (all three of them) had some horror story about out-of-control credit card debt, how they solved it and then decided to go around helping other people in similar financial predicaments.

Jokes aside, could you take out a personal loan to cover the debt? You wouldn't have the crazy credit card interest to contend with and then at least, you could look to a time when you could be clear.

True story: An office manager received a visit from "debt collectors" (big hairy guys with tattooes) as she was having trouble meeting her credit card payments. A friend of mine (financial guru-type who actually got me to start saving money, a no mean feat) sat her down and went through her statements. They found that out of the RM80,000 she owed, she had only spent RM10,000. The rest was interest on interest on interest and late charges.

Moral of the story: If you can't clear this month's charges this month itself, you probably cannot afford the card. It's the most expensive form of legal financing (we're not including loan sharks here) around.

01:09

 
Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com said...

Great story! :)

01:47

 
Blogger Nessa said...

You could try the "Redneck Retirement Plan" aka play the lottery. I recommend this because it's worked so well for me, NOT.

13:54

 
Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com said...

I played the lottery once millions of years ago. Needless to say, I didn't win. :)

01:23

 

Post a Comment

<< Home