get down with the funky brown! funkybrownchick.blogspot.com ...

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Ben & Mr. Helsinki*

“Excuse me,” I say to the British guy who is walking toward me along Lower Grosvenor Place near the gardens of Buckingham Palace. “Where is Big Ben?” The man looks like he’s in a hurry. He slightly slows (but does not stop) his walking. He looks confused. “Surry?” he says in a thick Londoner or cockney accent. “Do you know where Big Ben is?” I ask again. He still looks confused. “Surry,” he says. “Never heard of it.” To the folks back home, the American equivalent of this event would be this: A tourist asks a New Yorker how to get to the Statue of Liberty. The New Yorker stops, looks confused and answers, “Sorry, dude, but I don’t know what that is.” Surely this man knows where Big Ben is. So, I repeat myself, “Big Ben. You know. The clock. The big yellow clock on the tower. Big Ben.” He chuckles and sighs in that ahhhhh-I-get-it kind of way. “Oh, Big Ben!” Okay, so *I* think that the two words that come out of his mouth sound like the same two words that come out of my mouth, but apparently they don’t. I say: biiig bin. He says something like: Beeg Bean. (Sidenote: this British/American lost in translation happens again later in the day when I ask for more tartar sauce for my fish and chips. “What is Tiger Sauce?” the Eastern European waitress asks.) But, anyway, the guy gives me directions, says “cheerio” and walks away. So, I go to see Ben; he looks the same. Later in the evening, I’m out with an old friend in London. We go to a bar on Charing Cross Road in SoHo. This is where I meet: Mister Helsinki. Mr. Helsinki looks a lot like a brunette version of the Ken Doll. He’s a tall, handsome, international man of style with a great body and a winning smile complete with perfectly straight, white teeth. “I am from Finland,” he says as an introduction and I swear that I see a twinkle and hear a little ding when he flashes me his winning smile. His teeth are really straight. And, really white. “I’m from the capital,” he continues. “Do you know what the capital of Finland is?” he asks. “Ummm ... Stockholm is in Sweden ... Copenhagen is in Denmark ...” “You are smarter than most Americans,” he laughs. “But, those places aren’t Finland.” “Whatever. I know those places aren’t Finland ... Bear with me. I’m figuring it out by process of elimination. So, Norway’s capital is ... ” “Oslo.” He says. “Oh, okay, thanks. Oslo. Norway ... So, Helsinki ... Where is Helsinki?” “Very good,” more teeth, more winning smile, “Helsinki is in Finland.” My friend, he and I chat for quite a bit longer. But, after a while, it’s getting pretty late. I have to leave if I’m going to catch the last Tube (that’s the “London subway” for the Americans) back to the hotel in time. The Tube shuts down shortly after midnight. If New York is The City That Never Sleeps, London is The City with an Early Bedtime. “Which way is it to the Piccadilly Line?” I ask after explaining that I have to leave. Mr. Helsinki smiles. “You’re smart. You’ll figure it out.” Oh, he’s a clever one. “Thanks,” I say and wave goodbye for the evening. Mr. Helsinki is a hottie. Hopefully, I’ll run into him again before I leave London ... *Post also known as An American in London, Part II

10 Comments:

Blogger MamaChristy said...

Didn't you once say that you tend to fall for v good looking guys who know that they are good looking and tend to fall on the side of, well, asshole-ishness? Hm. He does sound lovely to look at. You do have plenty of strawberry lip balm, right? :)

10:06

 
Blogger Darwin said...

Haha "'you are smarter than most americans"...gotta love that line...

I recommend replying "you're smart, you'll figure it out" if you ever meet him again and he asks you for your number...:D evil evil evil...of course, do this AFTER you make him buy you drinks all night...

10:14

 
Blogger AWE said...

Shouldn't this be called An American Blogger in London?

Stay away from Ken, I get a bad plastic vibe from him.

15:03

 
Blogger greeneggsandtam said...

the city with the early bedtime. priceless! i thought they were going ahead with the 24hr pubs after christmas. what would be the point of that if you can't get home at 4a.m.?

16:31

 
Blogger Nessa said...

Ken does sound pretty and he does sound like an ass. Good thing you are only there a week. Less temptation.

16:46

 
Blogger Jay said...

You do know that Ken doesn't have a penis, don't you?

19:37

 
Blogger Anhoni Patel said...

Mr. Helsinki should have led you to the tube. Looks like you are having a blast!

19:47

 
Blogger Anhoni Patel said...

Jay - that was hilarious.

19:48

 
Blogger Fresh said...

HEY!!! Smarter than most Americans????

19:48

 
Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com said...

MamaChristy: Oh my! My bad habits have followed me to London. :( I soooo didn't even realize the he’s the “typical” Stolie guy until you all made comments on it. Sheesh. When will I learn?!?!

Darwin: Hey, don’t go using that “Smarter-Than-Most” line on any Americans now! :)

AWE: Geez. You guys really don’t like Mr. Helsinki ...

greeneggsandtam: You know, that was my though exactly. There are 24-hour pubs, 3:00am bars, 4:00am clubs, etc. You name it; London now has it. But, like you said, what’s the point of a 3:30am lounge if you can’t take the underground after midnight? Hmmm ...

golden nib: Mr. Helsinki / Ken was very adorable. Who knows; maybe he is an ass???

Hanuman: I’m having a blast and **THANKS** for the congrats.

Jay: Ewwwww! I hadn’t thought of that. Or, should I say, the lack of “that”.

Anhoni Patel: If Mr. Helsinki only knew that bloggers in at least 5 countries think he’s a goof ... And, yes, Jay is hilarious isn’t he? If you guys haven’t check out his blog yet, you should. (By the way, I’ve haven’t read anyone’s blog in ages, but I’ll catch up with everybody once I’m stateside.)

Berry: Yeah, American-bashing is en vogue in Europe.

20:13

 

Post a Comment

<< Home