
And, I'm off. I am traveling for work again and I won't be in New York for the next several days. (I'll probably still blog and "take you with me.") Travel. You know what's really ironic? I've taken so many business and pleasure flights at this point that I probably couldn't count the total number of flights I've taken if I wanted to, but still ... I'm afraid of flying
. I do it. But I don't like it.
I've written a post about
phobias before, so I won't wax about that now. Still, I am curious to know if any of you are afraid of flying. Are you? And, if you are, what do you do to reduce the fear? Me - I usually get trashed on those little bottles of red wine. On an overnight flight between Atlanta and Amsterdam, I once ran into an old colleague that I hadn't seen for years. I start laughing and chatting with him and I think that we are having tons of fun. But, then he looks over at me and asks, "are you
drunk?!" I explain, "Oh, I'm not an
alcoholic; I'm just
afraid of flying." He nodded in that
yeah, riiiight kind of way. Even today, I don't think that he really believed me.
13 Comments:
That's hysterical Stolie! I always jabber non-stop about the strangest subjects when I get really nervous...and then I have to explain that I am not drunk, stoned or a lunatic. Then people will look at me like I must actually be all three! ;)
06:54
It does take the edge off of flying when you have had one or 5 drinks. I used to work with a guy that would get plastered at 5am if he had to get on a flight.
08:17
amen to that. i am petrified of flying - furthest i've done is uk to cancun, and i mainlined jack daniels and rescue remedy the whole way.
if you have a car accident, you don't know it's coming. with the plane thing i just can't stand the thought of knowing the crash is coming but having to wait for it.
bruh.
09:38
Kellee: I know! It's the worst. :) It's like when you try to *explain* that a situation isn't what someone thinks it is, but this only convinces the person moreso that it is exactly what you say it isn't. :)
AWE: I don't know what I would do without booze on flights. The two guys sitting next to me ordered *4* Heinekens each!! Two glasses of wine on an empty stomach and no sleep is enough to knock me out.
surly girl: EXACTLY!!! It's the fact that you *know* it's going to happen and you can't do anything about it! :( Ewww! Why am I talking about this?!?!?! I have to get on the return flight in a couple of days. :( Tomorrow's post: cheery, happy thoughts. :)
17:44
scares the crap out of me one word Dramamine
18:16
I can't relate. I love to fly.
I recently sat next to my sister on a flight. She insisted on sitting by the window because she "has to fly the plane." What?!?
That's the whole idea. I DON'T have to fly the plane!
In a car, you are only under the illusion that you have control. You really don't. Some crazed lunatic could smash into your car causing financial and bodily harm in a split second.
On a plane (or train) by contrast, you relinquish control and let someone else take responsibility. I love it. As a bit of a control freak, I can hardly believe I just typed that, but it's true.
21:16
I actually don't really like the idea of flying, but I get through it fine. I always get window seats--I have to be able to see the sky for some reason--and the only times I really worry are during takeoff and landing. The rest of the time I try to sleep. I actually have never had a drink during a flight. Maybe I should take it up, especially since my next flight is an afternoon flight and I usually fly early morning (and thus stay up all night the night before so I can sleep in flight. Hm. Time for a flask, I reckon.)
Happy travels while you're on the road!
00:15
Dear Lovey Heart: Okay, so, I tried the whole "Dramamine" thing once. It was a disaster! They say you're not supposed to eat before taking it, right? Well, on the morning of my flight, I was hungry. So, I ate. When I arrived at the airport, I took the pill but I didn't feel anything. So, I took another one and then I lost total control on my body. I felt like someone had drugged me. I kept falling over on the guy sitting next to me. Needless to say, he *HATED* me by the end of that flight ...
Pegs: What? You? A control freak? Really?
Sid: THANKS! And, window seat, huh? I'm an aisle seat kind of girl myself. Easy access to the bathroom. Plus, if some lunatic tries to storm the cockpit, I can always stick my leg out and trip him. :)
01:16
Nope
Never been afraid to fly. Dad used to fly private planes. He started taking me up when I was three.
I sleep through the flight attendant theatrics at the beginning of the flight.
01:35
That's wonderful! I wonder if part of my fear of flying is due to the fact that I didn't take my first flight until i was in my 20s. (We drove everywhere when I little.)
02:58
Not particularly scared of flying. Once I fell asleep before the plane even took off, and slept through take off:D Yeah I can sleep through almost anything if I want to, including a fire alarm test once (I knew subconsciously that they were testing the alarm, we didnt actually have to run out I suppose).
I do have a phobia about being stuck with a bunch of noisy kids next to me. I hate hate hate HATE that. Or someone who is ill (i.e. flu-ey) and won't stop sneezing, I get paranoid about the contained air and the germs. Weird I know...
03:15
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
03:18
Yeah, if I could have my choice of the person sitting next to me, I would prefer that it *not* be: a screaming baby, a sickly person or a lunatic. I've had all three. :( (Not at the same time.)
06:21
Post a Comment
<< Home