
Lately, I’ve been blogging about “blogging” (e.g. blogging about meeting another blogger, blogging about getting nominated for a blog award, etc.). So, today I’m going to talk a little about my
offline life.
As you may know, I’m back in New York. It’s so good to be home again. And, speaking of home, I’m getting pretty settled into the new place. It’s the smallest apartment in which I’ve ever lived; but, then again, this is New York City. Everyone tells me that you kind of have to come to terms with renting/owning a very small apartment if you’re going to live here. But, truth be told, there are actually a few advantages to having a small apartment. For example, cleaning the entire place from top to bottom takes less than an hour. And, of course, if I want to give first-time visitors the Grand Tour, I simply have to place my hands on either side of their shoulders and give them a good spin in one full circle.
I still want to do a million things with the place before I consider it “finished” but, for now, at least it’s clean. When I first moved in, it was dirtier than Colin Farrell’s dick. Wanna see a couple of pictures of the kitchen? Anything for you ... my dear, sweet, honey-dipped reader. :-) In the images below,
before pictures appear on the left and
after pictures are on the right. Click the image to expand to full size, if needed. Enjoy!
Kitchen Appliances. This is the entire kitchen. Believe it or not, I am considered "lucky" because I have a full-sized refrigerator and a stove. (I can't tell you how many times I've been asked, "Can you, you know,
cook in your kitchen?" when I tell people that I have a new place.)
Accoutrement. As you can see, when I moved in, the management company and/or the building super was so kind to provide me with a dirty sink and left over crap. I cleaned it up and replaced the crap with bright yellow and orange kitchen accoutrement as well as live houseplants.
Dirt. Here is another shot of the sink just because I really cannot believe how dirty it was when I first moved in. The dust & dirt was piled so high that you could run your finger through it. GROSS! (Speaking of dirty, I just realized that I forgot to remove the dirty dish from the sink when I took the photo. Oops!)
12 Comments:
Looks cute. I like small. Our house is so small that I have named it "The Double Wide." everyone knows our house by thia name.
As in, "We live in the blue, double-wide down the street."
Nervous giggle, giggle from listener (not sure if I'm making a joke), "Oh, yeah, I know that house."
06:38
How could it even be that dirty? How did someone love there before you and have it be that dirty? *shudder*
But look how nice it looks with a few plants and, well, clean! We've been looking at refrigerators for the new house (we sold our old one) and I was wondering who would get one of those small ones. I guess now I have my answer! :)
10:29
Where do you sleep? Right side or left side of the sink? I mean, I didn't see any bedroom or living room.
;)
13:53
I always wanted to move to NYC, but the living situation would bother me. My garage is bigger than your apartment, but I think I could make the trade off.
14:10
Nice touches...at least you HAVE a separate kitchen...my first apt. in NY had the kitchen as part of the living room. I wish I had taken pics of that place.
14:29
Small is good, who wants a mansion anyway unless it comes with it's own maid and butler?! You've done really good with the kitchen considering the state it was in. Potted plants make it look so cosy! Show us more!
15:19
Ahh... the seperate kitchen...this is a major bonus in a studio in New York! It's a hell of a lot cleaner than mine!
17:49
Nothing personal, but lovely as your apartment is, I'd still prefer to see Colin Farrell's dick.
Sorry.
Nice square plate, btw.
18:23
goldennib: The double wide??? :)
MamaChristy: I don't know if it wasn't cleaned or if the dust and dirt is because it may have sat empty for a little while.
sethro: I sleep on the LEFT side of the sink. :)
AWE: Yeah, it seems that there are a lot of tradeoffs. It's GREAT city and there are millions of opportunities; however, the "luxury tax" or "convenience tax" is that you have to suffer high prices and small dwellings.
Berry: It's soooo hard to get used to it all. Everyone acts like I got this GREAT deal. By any other city's standards, this is hardly a deal.
Darwin: I'll probably upload more pictures in the coming weeks or so. Moving in is a slow process.
missbhavens: It's not always that clean. I still need to unpack from my trip. I have luggage and clothes sprawled out all over my floor.
Jay: Really? Seeing my apartment doesn't satisfy you the way that seeing him could? Okay, fine. Tomorrow's post: Colin Farrell's dick.
MamaChristy: VERY funny! :)
07:23
Your place (kitchen) is definitely cute! Nice touches with the plant and colorful kitchen-gear. I love the whole nesting thing. You should see me in Zabar's upstairs. Have you been? It's a cook's dream...as is the downstairs, actually.
Yeah, the New York housing market scares me. I'm fortunate (sorta) in that my current gig comes with a housing hookup, and anyone who has seen my place and its location usually has a heart-attack of envy (if I had to pay for it myself it would run in the nabe of $3000/month). This is why I am leaving NYC when I leave my job. I couldn't live here and be happy--either my living conditions would be terrible or my professional/personal life would be, because I'd need three jobs to stay afloat!
11:26
zmghey Stolie! What's the craic? I'm just scribbling at the moment and I'm just wondering, did you eat your Tayto Cheese and Onion crisps?
15:17
Sid: Thanks! And, no, I've never been to Zabar's upstairs. I try to stay away from those places as I fear I'd go on a shopping spree. (I love kitchen stuff!!) And, you're right, the housing market SUCKS here!!! :(
Nics: The craic is fine. :) And, oh yeah, I ate the crips while sitting at the airport waiting for the plane. They were really good!! :)
19:54
Post a Comment
<< Home