
To those of you who have been reading the posts that I have put up since I became unemployed
[i.e. my fake album, corn in Illinois, etc.], I will say this: no, I have not lost my mind. But, thank you for your concerns. :) Moving on ... Later today, I have a job interview. I’m really excited because this will be my first interview since I joined Club Unemployed a couple of weeks ago. But, there’s a catch.
The job isn’t in my field. And, I’m not even sure that the position involves doing anything exceptionally interesting. I am going to go to the interview and give it my all. Still, I’m a little bit conflicted. Professionally, I’ve typically only accepted full-time, permanent jobs that were positions in fields for which I have complete and unbridled passion. When you love what you do, going to your job feels less like
work. So, I want to stay true to myself; at the same time, I need to get more money coming in the door. (And, let’s not forget, I need health insurance.)
Hmmm ... At this point, it’s just an interview, right? It’s not like this is an actual job offer. Best-case scenario? I fall in love with a new career that I once knew very little about. Worst-case scenario? Interview practice. It seems to be a win-win situation, right?
15 Comments:
Win Win is right, my funky brown Diva. I wish you mucho mucho luck. Mwah!!!!!
00:11
I started as a temporary General Clerk - temporary 60 day assignment; the interview for that was 4 1/2 hours....12 and 1/2 years later I was still working for that same company - althought NOT as a general clerk.
Not only did it put me on my career path which I LOVE LOVE... I met some wonderful people because of it.... I often wonder what my life would be like now if I had not taken that job; I've got very very DEAR loved friends that I can't every imagine NOT being in my life....
So, yea.... it's interview practice I'm still sending good vibes your way.
Hugs!
01:40
Is there something else at company that you could be passionate about, and you could look at this job as a way in?
01:46
As long as inertia doesn't set in, you'll be alright.
I took this callcentre job as a stopgap, something to pay the bills while I looked for something better. Well, it's been 13 months. And I'm having difficulty getting off my arse and moving on to a 'proper job'.
04:34
Sounds like you have the right idea. Going to a job interview is never a bad thing, and it's definately good practice! And, you never know, this new career area might just be something worth pursuing!
I'm working on the whole find new employment right now too - though I'm presently employed, the environment here isn't very good.
So, from one job seeker to another, good luck and have fun!
12:24
I'm a big believer in the "meant to be." If you get this job, it will be because you were supposed to. Perhaps you'll love it; perhaps you'll hate it; perhaps it will just be interview practice. It will work out the way it is supposed to and just be prayerful (or meditative, or at least mindful) and you will make the decision you need to.
Kick some major butt this afternoon! I'll be thinking of you!
12:46
Good Luck!
14:17
Def win-win. If you start hating it, just keep an eye out for a new job and then switch, assuming contracts arent an issue. Bills don't pay themselves afterall. Goodluck!
15:04
I look at the first few interviews as practice...then when something I absolutely LOVE comes along I am well prepped. Just my little strategy.
16:13
Good luck!
17:22
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
22:24
How did it go? I'm dying to know...
22:26
Thanks for all of the good vibes everybody!!! :-) The interview went really really well. And, if I am to believe the interviewer, sometime next week I should expect a call inviting me for a 2nd interview ...
23:39
Way to Go!
00:12
THANKS!!! :-)
01:00
Post a Comment
<< Home