
Poor Santino Rice. He got robbed last night. Everyone expected him to win the
Project Runway booty, but he didn’t. The scent of general thievery is in the air. First,
Brokeback Mountain. Now, Santino Rice. Hmmm …
Sometimes thieves, robbers and other punks get the best of us. All of us. In college, I quasi-dated a guy for a couple of years who refused to admit that we were dating. He wanted to, you know, “keep his options open.” And, for a while, I thought that he robbed me of my pride. When I finished university, I applied to grad school but my applications were rejected. I thought that my future had been hijacked. Recently, as you know, I followed my dreams to move to New York. I’ve fallen on my ass so much in NYC that I’m starting to get bruises. And, sometimes, I feel that my “dreams” of making it here are being stolen right from under my nose.
But, life—as it always does—goes on. And, often, when it “goes on” in unexpected ways we come out better, stronger, smarter and on top. I eventually got over the loser from college, and I’ve met and dated quite a few Great Men in the years since then. (One was so great that I almost married him, but that’s a story for another time.) And, guess what? When I didn’t get into grad school, I chucked everything and lived out my dream to live & work in Europe; it’s one of the best decisions that I ever made. And, even though the general Falling-On-My-Assery in NYC gets to me from time to time, for now, I’m still here. I’m dating a few guys. I’ve got a great group of friends. And, this city is absolutely amazing. Life is going on—even though it’s not going as I expected it.
So, as much as I love Santino Rice (and
Brokeback Mountain by the way), I have to say this: maybe losing ain’t so bad. As odd as it sounds, sometimes losing turns out to be one of the best things that could ever happen to a person.
QUESTION: What’s your comeback story? Have you ever had a difficult, unexpected situation that turned out to be a really good thing in the end? Use the comment section to let us know.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* Oh yeah, by the way, my job interview went really really well. I should hear something back from them by next week.
7 Comments:
I don't really share your feeings about Santino's loss. I haven't liked Santino throughout Project Runway, but he's been growing on me. When the finale came, I really didn't know who I was rooting for.
Ultimately, based on everything Santino had done up to that point, it seemed like he DID, as the judges said, take the safe route. His collection didn't look like the Santino we've seen throughout the run of the show, but like an attempt to mold himself into a Chloe/Daniel mold.
But I have to admit that my very favorite part of the whole show last night was Santino getting together with his mother again. Brought tears to my eyes.
10:11
QUESTION: What’s your comeback story? Have you ever had a difficult, unexpected situation that turned out to be a really good thing in the end? Use the comment section to let us know.
Oh, which story to choose...
During my last year of University, I was head over heels in love with a girl, and frankly, I thought she was the one... Well, before the end of the year I found out she had been cheating on me for almost 6 months.
I was choked, hurt, depressed - pick your description. But during this year I also applied for grad school, got accepted, travelled to Hawaii for 2 weeks, and totally refreshed. So I moved across the country for 2 years to go to grad school, and realized that I wasn't missing all that much without that specific girl...
It's not all that dramatic, or even unique, but it works...
11:56
QUESTION: What’s your comeback story? Have you ever had a difficult, unexpected situation that turned out to be a really good thing in the end? Use the comment section to let us know.
My second job out of college had gotten old. I was ready to move on from the politics and drunk (really!) management and was applying all over for jobs. An optical chain called me for an interview at their headquarters. The interview went great -I got along famously with the boss, I answered all questions with fantastic enthusiasm and even asked insightful questions of my own. I was sure I was going to get it.
I didn't hear from them for a few days so I gave them a call to ask if they needed any additional information from me. A few more days go by and I don't get a call back so I call again. And again. (Do you get I was really desperate to get a new job?) The jerk never bothered to ever call me back and let me know that they had selected someone else. I was brokenhearted.
Just a couple weeks later I got a great job working for a non-profit and was very happy there for three years before I decided to stay home with the boy. Looking back, I probably wouldn't have been happy at that job for more than a year or so and then I would have been looking for yet another job and things turned out they way they are supposed to. Time brings such clarity to these situations, huh?
13:00
Ive never watched the show, they don't show it here:(
To answer your question, loads of stuff. One I particularly remember was when I was in grade 4 in school and we had to paint a beach for an art exam. My tube paint (yellow) was refusing to squeeze out so I kinda squeezed it too hard and the darn thing just made a huge yellow blob on the middle of my nearly-finished picture. So I didnt have a choice but to turn it into a sun and then reflect it off the sea etc. It ended up looking quite funky, I ended up with an A+ for it!
Sadly nowadays thats rare. If it starts going downhill it's usually pretty hopeless. Sigh...
16:41
Bev Sykes: You said - "my very favorite part of the whole show last night was Santino getting together with his mother again." Seeeeee. There *IS* at least a little teeny, tiny bit of Love for Santino in your heart. ;)
Mitch: OUCH! What a bitch; no one deserves to be treated like that ... Hey, we have similar comeback stories. Only, I didn't get into grad school the first time I applied. And, I went to Europe instead of Hawaii. And, well, you're Canadian. :)
MamaChristy: So, it seems like everything worked out the way that it was supposed to in the end! :) And, you're right, time does bring clarity.
Darwin: you said - "If it starts going downhill it's usually pretty hopeless." By it, do you mean works of art or life? In either case, what happened to my cheery, spirited and optimistic Darwin? I read your blog. You had four posts in a row with the following titles: "Fuck ups and solving them"; "Fucking retards"; "Dickhead Vs Nice Guy"; and "Leave me alone you hypocritical shitheads". I figure you're an optimist, right? ;) Actually, you remind me of my good friend Bro. She's jaded, but she's really funny.
08:04
I didn't realise you read all of that! Thanks!
I was speaking in general, about life and all that I guess. Just one of those blue phases for the past few months or so where there doesn't seem to be anything positive, anything to look forward to etc if you get what I mean...trying to keep my head above the water sort of thing. Sorry if that sounds horribly depressing!
13:33
Yep. I admit it: I'm a lurker, too. :) Sometimes.
I read your blog almost every time that you post, but I don't always comment.
And, about those blue phases, we all have them. Ahhh ... sometimes life can be difficult.
08:48
Post a Comment
<< Home