
So, I gather that the Stolie Nation members were just a wee bit angry about my recent April Fool’s Day joke? Judging from the name-calling,
"I'll-slap-you" threats, and the concerned emails — I am going to go out on a limb here and say that the general consensus is:
“Don’t fuck with us, little girl! You promised us Blog and you better deliver ... or else!” But, please calm down, my sweet little babies. You know that I love you. I would never leave you so abruptly. When and/or if the time to part ever arrives, I’d like to think that I’d give you fair warning. Hell, I’d probably throw a week-long “End of the Blog” party to count down the days to my final post. But, let’s not talk about all of that stuff. Because, right now, the Funky Brown Chick is here to stay. So, let’s use our time together today to talk about some of life’s joyful, little pleasantries.
Taxes. April 15, tax day, is fast approaching. I’ve been doing my own taxes for years, but this past year was honestly one of my most difficult tax years. Rewind to the beginning of 2005. In the real world, the story is quite simple. I am employed and pay taxes in Chicago while I job-hunt for opportunities in New York. BlahBlahBlah Inc. eventually hires me. New York City apartments are much smaller than Chicago apartments, so I donate most of my personal furniture, clothing, household furnishings, etc. to a local charity before I move. And, because BlahBlahBlah INC is a small company, I have to pay my own moving costs. Easy enough, right?
Well, in the tax world, the above scenario translates as such ... I fill out Form 1040 to file my Federal Taxes. I attach Schedule A to Form 1040 in order to itemize the deductions (or, “claim a credit of sorts”, for my non-US readers) for the: state taxes paid to 2 states, non-reimbursed job expenses, and gifts to charity. Because the gifts to charity total more than $500 in value, I attach Form 8283 to detail each item. I also attach Form 3903 to detail my moving expenses. Federal Taxes, done. Now, State Taxes. I fill out Form IL-1040 for Illinois taxes paid and attach Schedule NR to explain that I was only a part-year resident. I also fill out Form IT-203 for my New York State taxes. But, I live in New York City, and New York City taxes are different than taxes in other cities in New York State. So I fill out Form IT-360.1 to show that, in New York State, I live in New York City. State Taxes, done. Whew! Glad I don’t have to do that again until April 2007.
( ... And, I hope that I’ve sufficiently bored you with the tax form stuff so that you’ve completely forgotten about your anger over April Fool’s Day.)
8 Comments:
stolie girl,
haven't dropped a line recently, just wanted to quickly say "hey" - this life is too busy these days! but still reading along ... :)
quick update on dating The Rebound Boy: turns out, he knows the deal with me, that i may flip out at any moment (since i didn't come into this relationship the way i typically do, which is all healed, ready to give love another go) but he's content to just carry on as we've been doing. and by all the looks of it, we've entered a full-fledged relationship, where i spend a lot of time at his place and more often than not, leaving to work from there. and still, there is partial reluctance on my part but i am getting more and more accustomed to this. i can't tell if it's a good or bad thing but so far, i'm enjoying myself with the occasional twang from the past to remind me of my ex. but overall, i am being suitably distracted. and that can only be a good thing, right? ;)
what is exceptional about him: since we kinda quasi-dated for about two months (didn't touch EVER - i'd never let him near me and he never pushed for it and he was listening to my bad dating stories all along) and i thought we'd just be friends, we ended up building up some kind of friendship beforehand. perhaps, it's bc i have a much more laissez-faire attitude with him, i am pretty free with him. which is very, VERY lovely indeed!
he's a social smoker, you know. how am i gonna break him of his terrible habit?! kids, give me clues ... i've told him everything i can think of him to break him from it, but i dunno ... (although, he was good this weekend, which was deeeee-lish and he was duly rewarded)
hmmm. i wonder where this is going ... ?
_
11:57
Oh, well, the name calling. Sorry about that. And the mental decline comment? Not to be taken seriously. I am very relieved it was just a joke.
All that tax crap. Goodness. I hope that all those deductions lead to a refund for you. Do you do it all by hand or use a online/electronic service. We have used TurboTax for five years or so and love it. We do our taxes in February - it is that easy.
Miss Anon - Glad to hear that Rebound Boy understands the situation. I hope that this turns out to be a good thing in your life, even if he isn't the "forever guy."
13:11
Taxes? What's that?
-looks over shoulder-
14:51
Dear Stollie,
I also downsized, donated, incurred moving expenses, new job trans calendar years -- however I thank my lucky stars that I stayed in one state! I can't imagine all that!! My brain hurts from just thinking about it (or trying to think about it or not thinking about it....)
I just did the initial review last night on my taxes. I used HR Block on line and it was pretty snappy. I will double check it though before filing.
MC- do you have to buy new software every year?
19:55
miss annon - I wish I had some advice to give - but will keep a look out to see what comes up.
I have a friend who does the social thing as well..too bad we can't just wave the magic wand...
19:57
Yes, et, you must buy new software each year because our so-called representatives in Washington make changes to the tax code each year. The good thing is you pay your $53 (for federal and state together)minus a $14.95 rebate and the taxes are a snap. TurboTax also reimburses the $14.95 electronic filing fee for federal taxes. It's not that bad.
22:23
I can't believe you squeezed out a whole damn post about taxes. Not to mention comments to boot.
Taxes-Schmaxes! :P
22:37
miss anon: Glad to know you're still reading. And, about the boy ... who cares where it's going as long as you're having a great time along the way. ENJOY! :)
AWE: More threats?!?! You guys are all feisty little suckers. ;)
MamaChristy: Yeah, I do all of my taxes by hand and then I go online to file electronically.
Jay: Yeah, taxes are a bore. Avoid them at all costs if you can.
ET: I did H&R Block online, too! :)
Pegs: You're a smart cookie; thanks for sharing the info!
ErikWithaK: Yeah, my taxes took up the better part of my evening Sunday night. So, when it came time to write on Monday morning, I couldn't think of anything else to write about. I'm glad they're done!
03:33
Post a Comment
<< Home