get down with the funky brown! funkybrownchick.blogspot.com ...

Friday, April 21, 2006

Sophie, All About Ma Soeur

This one is for Pegs—my reader, and friend, who claims that I never write about my sister ... When I was a little girl, I idolized my older sister, Sophie. Actually, sometimes I still do. We had it rough when we were younger; and, if Sophie and I didn’t have each other, I don’t think that either of us would have survived our childhood. Ah, Sophie. My sister means the world to me. And, when I was younger, if you had asked me, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” I would have told you: Sophie. I wanted to be her. And, all she ever wanted to be was, well, French. Sophie’s first and middle names are both quintessentially French. Truth be told, I think my sister and my mother—the woman who gave Sophie her name—honestly believed that my sister was a jeune fille parisienne in a former life. Throughout her schooling, Sophie would memorize every lesson on French history. (It wasn’t hard to do. There were only a couple of them. It’s America, remember?) And, when Sophie entered high school, she studied French language. Because I am 6 years younger than she is, I was only in elementary school at the time; nevertheless, I too studied French. I didn’t think that I was a little French girl but, dammit, if Sophie was—I wanted to speak her language. I’m not kidding. It seems that little girls who have female siblings tend to go through an “I Hate You” phase with their sister. That was never the case with Sophie and me. When I was 6, she was 12. And, when I was 12, she was 18. Not only could I not compete with her, I didn’t even want to. I just always thought that she was the Cooler Older Sister. Cool like Denise from The Cosby Show. And, you know what? Even Denise had a prénom français, too. So, that’s Sophie. My nephews’ mother. My brother-in-law’s wife. My friend. My lovely sister. My idol. Ma soeur. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - A French-to-English translation follows for those of you who hate: the French, the English-speakers that try to speak French, or both of the aforementioned: ma soeur = my sister; jeune fille parisienne = little Parisian girl; prénom français = French first name.

7 Comments:

Blogger Pegs said...

Yeah!!! I have met Sophie briefly, but now I feel like I have more insight.

07:34

 
Blogger MamaChristy said...

She sounds lovely. Sounds like you had a relationship like Rudy and Denise rather than Vanessa and Denise. That is a good thing.

12:28

 
Blogger Nessa said...

Whenever someone tells me their sister stories, I wish I had a sister, too.

13:37

 
Blogger AmyB said...

Oh, I love sisters. I have two - one older, one younger, and I can't imagine life without either of them.

I did find it interesting that there wasn't ever that "I hate her" phase, but I guess 6 years helps with that. My older sister is 4 years older than me, and she and I would go at it relentlessly. Yet, my little sis is 7 years younger and we never had anything but love for one another. I might consider that when I have kids... ;o)

15:33

 
Blogger Dear Lovey Heart said...

i have two older sisters and i love them both very much the one that is just older then me is one of my best friends we shared a room for most of my life and i still have trouble sleeping without her a couple feet away

18:00

 
Blogger Howard said...

Ahh, that was a sweet story. It's nice when you share as it makes for some great reading.

11:07

 
Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com said...

Pegs: Great! :)

MamaChristy: Our relationship was probably more like Vanessa and Rudy, but Sophie looked & behaved like Denise. Same skin tone. Same "high schooler" attitude.

goldennib: Sisters can be great. But, you have to have the right one. I have a friend who fought with both of her sisters during the entire time that they were growing up. They come from a Catholic family and each of the girls are only 10 months - 1 1/2 apart in age. They were in high school at the same time. Knew the same people ... including guys. It wasn't pretty.

AmyD: I'm not kidding. I really think there is something to the whole age-span thing. It seems that sisters are fine with each other as long as there is about 5 - 8 years difference between their ages.

Dear Lovey Heart: That's sweet. :)

max joe tony: Welcome to the blog!!! :) Dammit, am I alienating my male readers again? Do I need to post more pictures of myself in my bra and panties? I'll do it. Anything for my male readers, you know. How about this ... for AT LEAST a week, no more talk of "girlie" things like my love for my sister ... or Paul Walker. :) Deal?

Howard: I'm glad you think that I give good blog. ;) As long as you all keep coming, I'll keep giving. :)

07:42

 

Post a Comment

<< Home