You Want It? Okay, I'll Give It To You.
Okay, so in yesterday’s post, I made mention that I had three stories to tell and let you guys choose which you wanted to hear. Here they are! Keeping with your wishes, Story A is the appetizer, Story C is the main course and Story B is the dessert. It’s a long post, but you asked for it. (You’ll probably want to read each of the “courses” because each story leads into the next.)
APPETIZER: The Belfast Story
“It’s the same old thing since 1916.”
I’m fascinated by the similarities between the American Civil Rights Movement and the Troubles of Northern Ireland. (There’s probably a book or two written about the subject if you’re interested in learning more.) At any rate, the more that I read about the region, I more I know that I must travel to Belfast to see the city with my own eyes. I especially want to see the political murals on Shankill Road and the Falls because when first saw the images of men wearing black hoods over their faces and pointing AK47s directly at me, I instantly knew that Belfast would be a different kind of place. So, last month, I get an incredible deal on a roundtrip flight between London and Belfast and I grow incredibly excited about the daytrip to a city that I’ve come to love so dear.
After booking my ticket, I point and click around to learn more about present-day politics in the city. I came across several very truly disturbing articles. I keep reading, but I just see more of the same. I start to wonder: what the fuck in going on in Belfast? I’m an independent woman and I don’t have a problem traveling alone or with traveling to places that others choose to avoid. At the same time, I’m not so sure about placing my little brown person in Belfast anymore ... But what does any of this have to do with my first blogger meeting?
MAIN COURSE: 1st Blogger Meeting Story
Girl Blogger Meets Girl Blogger
One day, shortly after booking my ticket to Belfast and while reading Darwin’s blog, I notice that she has a hidden talent: forging travel documents. ;-) I quip that I may need her services because I'm having second thoughts about the Belfast trip; perhaps, she could work her magic to change my flight ticket from Belfast to Glasgow? Darwin responds by posting a comment on my blog. She jokes that she wishes she could change the ticket from Belfast to Glasgow, but she hasn’t reached that level of competence yet. Nics, a blogger from Belfast, sees the comment on my blog and writes, “What does Darwin mean about Belfast? If you are coming to my city you have to let me know!” Hmmm ...
I never expected to meet Nics. I respond to her comment via a personal email. But, at most, I figure I’ll simply pose a few questions and solicit travel advice before making a decision about whether or not to go to Belfast. I send the email. She, kindly, emails me back. I email her again. She emails me again. The next thing I know, I not only commit to taking the trip to Belfast, the two of us agree to meet in person upon my arrival ... even though neither of us has ever met another blogger in person.
Days pass and my departure dates draws nearer. I’m scared shitless. What if I don’t like her. What if she doesn’t like me? What if the whole thing is just really odd? What if we have nothing to talk about? I’m excited, scared, interested and freaked out at the same time. I can’t believe I’m doing this. I’m actually going to meet another blogger face-to-face. Finally, The Day arrives. I get off of the airport shuttle and place my feet on the ground in Belfast City. I feel myself grow nervous as I take the first steps toward the friendly-looking woman sitting on the bench. I know she is the right person when she cracks a very sweet smile and asks: “Are you Stolie?”
We hug each other and then take to the city streets. We start talking and I don’t think that we ever stop. Nics is quite possibly the most friendly, kind, warm and hospitable person that anyone could ever meet. As we walk, she tells me about her life in Belfast and my ears soak up every single story. She takes me to see Queens University, Crown Liquor Saloon, the Grand Opera House, and the High Street. Later, when Nics has to go to work, she arranges for one of her friends, C, to pick up where she must leave off. C is equally delightful; together we see the Botanic Gardens, City Hall and the Ulster Museum.
Before departing Belfast, I take a tour of the murals that I’d been dying to see for so many years and they are even more mind-blowing that I could have ever imagined. There’s even a mural of Frederick Douglass!! On the mural, he’s called a defender of Irish freedom and women’s rights as well as a champion of the abolition of slavery. Also, an abbreviated version of the following Douglass quote appears: “Perhaps no class of our fellow citizens has carried this prejudice against color to a point more extreme and dangerous than have our Catholic Irish fellow citizens, and yet no people on the face of the earth have been more relentlessly persecuted and oppressed on account of race and religion, than the Irish people.” After the mural tour, I have to leave to catch my plane to London. When it arrives, I switch on my cell phone and I already have a message from Nics. She wants to know if I had a good time and if I arrived back in London safely.
I couldn’t have asked for a better “first experience” with meeting a fellow blogger. Nics, if you’re reading this, you HAVE TO come to New York!!! Please know that when/if you buy your ticket, you have a free place to stay and a wacky, personal tour guide as well. I think you would love it here. It doesn’t matter if the visit takes place next week, next month, next year or some other time in the future; whenever you come, it would be my sincere pleasure to return the warmth and hospitaily that you showered on me while I was in your lovely city. And, now, because I’ve been studying my Norn Iron phrasebook, I’m going to try to say “thank you” using only Norn Iron phrases. Okay? Here we go: “See me? See Nics? See Belfast/Noo Yorak? ‘S’wheeker! ... Wuz laverly ... Yer a gran lass, so y’ar!” See you in New York soon, I hope.
DESSERT: The Snogging Story
“To snog or not to snog?” That was the question, and I chose not to snog.
Put simply, I wasn’t really interested in any of the Brit Boys that I met and I did not want to snog just for snogging sake. Sure, I saw a few hotties but those guys were more likely to stare shyly from across the room instead of approaching me. And, Mr. Helsinki was ridiculously cute, but we never exchanged contact info and I never went back to the place at which I met him. I guess I didn’t really put a lot of effort into it. And, as for the guys who did come onto me, I found a few of them slightly repulsive (e.g, one really old guy: I am going to say something and you can surmise from it what you may ... Want to come to my place?)
On a related topic, I had a conversation about snogging with a British work colleague who works at a different company. (By the way, British Colleague is a total hottie. I sooo would have totally played tonsil hockey with him if I didn’t think it would make our next work-related meeting a bit, let’s say, odd.) At any rate, we discussed, at length, the difference between flirting in the US vs. the UK. Brits “try to pull” in very different ways than Americans “pick up” or “hook up.” One day, I’ll write a full post about that, but today is not that day. This post is already quite long ...




8 Comments:
Nice story. Glad you had a good time. I would still freak out if I met another blogger.
09:28
Thanks for sharing them all! I'm so glad that your first face-to-face blogger meeting went so well and you got a tour of a city you wanted to visit all in one fell swoop.
"You can surmise from it what you may"? You MUST be kidding? That was his pick-up line? Good for you not snogging with that freakazoid just so you could say you snogged. It's probably for the best... I'd be sad not to hear about NYC from you if you fell in love with some Brit hottie and moved to jolly 'ol England. But it might be fun to hear your perspective on London...
09:46
Lovey stories. It all sounds like you had a great time.
15:59
Excellent. So your first blogger meeting didn't go in a 'it puts the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose' way!! Sounds like you guys had an awesome time, wow, all because I forged a train ticket! Life works in funny ways sometimes.
My personal thoughts on Belfast? I went to Ireland twice during my second year at Uni, so did both Belfast and Dublin. While the accents were distinctly different, they were both still amazingly incomprehensible, although it sounded lovely. Belfast itself was much better as Dublin was really urbanized and dirty. Went to Queen’s uni, the botanical gardens, and the museums and stuff, it was pretty good. The highlight however was going to Giant’s Causeway off the Antrim coast. I don’t know if you’ve heard about it, but basically it’s a whole area near the sea consisting of hexagonal columns of rock formed because of a weird cooling event following a volcanic eruption millions of years ago. I was fascinated, the cliffs and sea looked like it was off a picture postcard and nothing in Belfast ever came close to that. Our tourguide was highly interesting because as we were setting off from Belfast he kept pointing out areas were the IRA bombed or shot someone, he seemed to know every single site by heart! The second time I was in Belfast because I wanted to meet some friends in Dublin but was told I’d need a visa to go (which involved going to London and haggling with my own country’s embassy etc) so I instead decided to avoid all this by flying to Belfast (still part of the UK hence my UK student visa works fine) and take a bus to Dublin (only 3hrs and no one checks passports). It's frustrating because I need a darn visa to go anywhere for any length of time thanks to my passport, heck I suspect I'd need a visa to blow my nose in another country. I probably have given you and everyone else an awful impression of me, i.e. with the forging tickets and illegal entry into countries! Believe me its not something I do all the time, these are the only two instances so far!:)
Apologies for the long post, but you did ask me about Belfast!
16:12
I'm actually more intimidated about meeting other bloggers than I am hooking up with guys off the net for sex!
I suppose when you're meeting another blogger you're conscious about having to be smart, funny and all-round fabulous (which can be a challenge), while meeting for sex, you just have to look palpitatingly hot (which is easy -preens-).
18:11
Nice stories. Nics sounds super cool. Brit guys do not.
19:48
Sounds like you had a good time, and both you and Nics are on my 'desire to meet' list!
As for my inability to sing or do karaoke, it's just a complete and total irrational fear; that's it, plain and simple. Public speaking, no problems; singing? Not a chance...
btw, got myself a date this weekend, so we'll see how it goes...
02:28
AWE: I *thought* that I would freak out, too. But, surprisingly, I didn't.
MamaChristy: No prob! ... And, I wish that I was kidding about the old man, but I'm not. He honestly said that. Needless to say, I was disgusted.
goldennib: It *was* a great time. Nics was 99.9% of reason that I loved it so much; she's great fun.
Darwin: It's the Butterfly Effect, man ... BTW, I laughed out loud when I read your Silence of the Lambs quote: "it puts the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose." I have a sick sense of humor. Maybe, when/if I have another face-to-face blogger meeting, I'll show up with a bottle of lotion in one hand and a water hose in the other ... Thanks for sharing your impressions of Belfast!!
Jay: Are you serious?!?! The idea of meeting another blogger scared/scares me too, but it's more because I worry that I won't like them or they won't like me and the whole "Man I Love That Blogger" thing that we had going would die. It's kind of like when you have sex with someone for the first time. First, you like the fantasy/idea of having sex with them. So if it's bad, you kind of wish that you still had the fantasy because at least that was better. Does that make any sense?
Anhoni Patel: Nics *is* super cool!!
Mitch: YAY on two accounts: (1) I love it when people mention "me" and the word "desire" in the same sentence and (2) you have a date this weekend. Congrats!! EVERYONE ... SEND MITCH GOOD VIBES FOR HIS DATE!!!!!! :)
04:19
Post a Comment
<< Home